Source: Ross Dobson – ‘The Healthy Slow Cooker’
Note: Gluten free
750g blade steak
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tablespoon corn flour
2 red onions, sliced
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into thick rounds
2 x 400g cans whole tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons date syrup (or reasonable substitute 😉)
Handful of coriander leaves
Handful of mint leaves
- Turn slow cooker on to Low
- Trim any excess fat from meat and discard. Cut the beef into cubes and put in slow cooker.
- Add the cumin, ginger, cornflour, plus salt and pepper to taste. Use a wooden spoon or a spatula or your hands to mix all the contents together.
- Cover mixture with onions, then sweet potato and then dates.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes and date syrup. Roughly mash and add to cooker.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours.
- Stir gently, transfer to bowls and top with herbs to serve.